Our house is now finished

Our house is now finished

Almost twenty months after we first saw it — smelling of damp and with no room actually finished — our beautiful house in Marlcliff is now done, thanks largely to the heroic efforts of local contractor Ric Pirson (Pirse). We moved in on the 2nd of September 2009, to discover that both of the showers leaked, in addition to the damp which had climbed right the way up the kitchen wall and was soaking the kitchen wooden floor laminate. Dampco came in almost right away to deal with the damp. Probably the most significant thing was when we asked their plumber if he could do something about the low water pressure. “Oh, that’s because your inlet tap is turned right down” he said. When he turned it out, water spurted out. Replacing the tap with one that didn’t leak was the single biggest factor in getting rid of the damp.
Nonetheless, having started we had to finish, so we had the plaster taken out to a metre round the entire ground floor and a chemical damp course put in. In several places this meant taking all of the plaster out, including the ceiling, as years of neglect (the previous owners had put new roofs on, which meant a lot of the work was already done) had left it in a parlous state. And, of course, we had to have a new kitchen ceiling, because half of the ceiling was missing — no doubt caused by the leaking shower above.
We camped in the upper room of the rear section of the house (we live in a tower — you knew that, right?) while the kitchen was out of action, sleeping in the unfinished guest bedroom right at the top of the house.
Once we got Pirse involved, things started to take shape. He fitted the kitchen in time for Christmas, and dealt with the non-functional guttering. From the start of 2010 he got to work on the intractable problem of the plumbing. In the end he had to replace a great deal of it, digging out a drain in the process, but finally solving the problem of the leaking showers by taking them completely out and putting them back in again.
Our request for a floored loft resulted in the quick discovery that the ceiling wouldn’t stand it, so another ceiling had to come down and be replaced, along with most of the plaster on the stairs.
In between time, Pirse did most of the painting, after we discovered that he could do more in two hours than the two of us could do in a day.
Finally, at the end of November, we were ready for the stair carpets.
All is now done, and we look forwards to many visitors.

Back to Top